Illinois CS Kickstart
What is Illinois CS Kickstart?
Apply here! Applications are due July 15, 2022.
Illinois CS Kickstart is a four day program for students admitted to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign that aims to empower women in Computer Science. Program participants will join a diverse group of their peers for an inclusive and creative CS-learning experience. No prior experience is needed. The program strives to foster relationships and build community to strengthen CS enrollment and retention.
Illinois CS Kickstart is dedicated to:
- Empowering students with the knowledge of CS fundamentals
- Connecting students with CS students and professionals to serve as role models and mentors
- Inspiring students by showing the breadth and power of CS and technology
- Informing students about opportunities to pursue a CS minor or major at the University of Illinois, what resources are available to support them, and how CS can be applicable to their career goals.
- Developing a sense of community among participants.
- Mentoring students by providing near-peer mentors and connections to students, staff, and faculty within the department.
Curriculum and Schedule
The CS Kickstart schedule covers a range of computing and social activities that prepare participants for their first semester as college students. CS Kickstart is led by UIUC CS graduate students who will lead hands-on, collaborative programming labs. Participants will also meet professors, staff, and student leaders in the CS department and begin networking and connecting with future teachers, mentors, and peers. CS Kickstart participants will also have the opportunity to explore the University of Illinois campus through several fun, social activities!
Click on each step below to learn more about the CS Kickstart Application Process. Applications are due July 15, 2022.
- Illinois CS Kickstart 2022 will run from August 14-18, 2022.
- There is no cost to participants, but participants are required to provide their own transportation to campus.
- Participants will stay in their Fall 2022 campus dorms. Housing costs from the evening of August 14 through the morning of 18, 2022 are covered by Illinois CS. All meals starting with dinner on August 14 through breakfast on August 18 are provided in the University of Illinois Dining Halls.
CS Kickstart Team
Research Professor and Senior Lecturer
Director of Undergraduate Studies
Broadening Participation in Computing Graduate Fellows
Kathleen Isenegger, Lead Project Fellow
For questions about the program, application, or any other inquiries, please email the team at email@example.com.