The Bachelor of Science in Computer Science program from The Grainger College of Engineering at the University of Illinois is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org, which reviews college and university programs in the discipline of computing, to provide assurance that quality standards are being met. The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. For more on this topic, including a discussion of the benefits of accreditation, please see Accreditation Information.
Program Educational Objectives
The University of Illinois Computer Science Undergraduate Program Educational Objectives are to prepare graduates who:
- For years after graduation are highly sought after by employers and accepted at top graduate schools, obtain positions in industry, government, not-for-profits and academia.
- Pursue education through lifelong learning either through self-directed study or in leading graduate programs.
- Emerge as leaders in the field through creation of new knowledge and systems in the rapidly changing world.
- Provide leadership with their high ethical and technical standards.
Our Student Outcomes include the ability, by the time of graduation, to:
- Analyze a complex computing problem and apply principles of computing and other relevant disciplines to identify solutions.
- Design, implement, and evaluate a computing-based solution to meet a given set of computing requirements in the context of the program’s discipline.
- Communicate effectively in a variety of professional contexts.
- Recognize professional responsibilities and make informed judgments in computing practice based on legal and ethical principles.
- Function effectively as a member or leader of a team engaged in activities appropriate to the discipline.
- Apply computer science theory and software development fundamentals to produce computing-based solutions.
Above all, our students must possess the intellectual tools that will enable them to keep pace with the ever-changing world of Computer Science.
Our mission is to provide to each student the opportunity to succeed and thrive in our department, so that they may graduate with the knowledge and abilities listed above.
For more information on our student enrollment and graduation data, please see: https://cs.illinois.edu/about-us/statistics.