Department of Computer Science
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Illinois is a world leader in research, teaching, and public engagement. We serve the state, the nation, and the world by creating knowledge, preparing students for lives of impact, and addressing critical societal needs through the transfer and application of knowledge. Illinois is the place where we embrace difference. We embrace it because we value it. Illinois is especially interested in candidates who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the Illinois community.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
PRIMARY POSITION FUNCTION/SUMMARY:
Work in collaboration with the Department of Computer Science at Illinois to manage and enhance Computer Science programs in Chicago.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Program and Site Management:
- Manage the Computer Science Chicago office location, including scheduling and supporting meetings, faculty and student offices, managing common areas, etc.
- Support events, such as workshops and meetings, and research activities in the Chicago location organized by CS faculty and students.
- In collaboration with the CS Urbana location and other university units, support and oversee student services, including student housing, library and other support services.
- Support the CS academic offerings and facilitate faculty needs associated with teaching in Chicago.
- Collaborate with the Computer Science Urbana location to deliver student, faculty and staff services, including supporting the participation of students and others from Urbana at events in Chicago.
- Collaborate with the Discovery Partners Institute (DPI), Engineering City Scholars, IQUIST and other University of Illinois programs and activities.
- Collaborate with the Computer Science communications team to design, implement, and maintain promotional materials for CS activities in Chicago.
- Work outside of typical hours as required for special events, including nights and occasional weekends.
Relationship Development/Corporate & Alumni Outreach
- Collaborate with the Director of External Relations in the Urbana campus to maintain and grow the Corporate Connections activities in Chicago.
- Facilitate and expand interaction with employers, organizations, alumni, and other stakeholders to ensure the success, sustainability and growth of internship opportunities and other out-of-classroom experiences for computer science students.
- Facilitate and expand collaborations between CS faculty and other Chicago institutions including DPI, corporate and national research laboratories, and educational institutions.
- Engage with corporate and civic partners, alumni, and outside vendors by hosting and attending meetings, participating in professional association activities and events in support of the computer science department’s growth initiatives in Chicago.
- Identify civic and other Chicago based opportunities that enhance the program.
Assume additional appropriate related duties to further the mission of the department.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, business, or a related field.
- A total of one (1) year (12) month in education, training and /or work experience in the area of specialization inherent to the position.
- Demonstrated professional work experience in program development, corporate relations, marketing, student career services/affairs, or corporate recruiting.
- Master’s degree in engineering, business, or a related field.
- Five years of professional work experience in program development, corporate relations, marketing, student career services/affairs, or corporate recruiting. At least three years demonstrated experience working with business and/or civic leadership. Experience effectively managing programs and staff.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time Civil Service Program Coordinator position appointed on a -month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the close of the search. Salary will be commensurate with experience
Applications must be received by July 6, 2022. Apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:
Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.
Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.
Step 3) Upload the following documents:
- cover letter
- resume (months and years of employment must be included)
- names/contact information for three references
- OPTIONAL: academic credentials (unofficial transcripts or copy of diploma may be acceptable) Academic credentials are verified at the time of hire.
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, contact Denise Corray at email@example.com. For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
University of Illinois faculty, staff and students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not able to receive the vaccine for medical or religious reasons, you may seek approval for an exemption in accordance with applicable University processes.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment