OPT Training Process
Primary Contact: Maggie Metzger Chappell
Optional Practical Training (OPT) is for graduate students who are on an F-1 visa and wish to complete one year of practical on the job training after graduation. In order to start the OPT training paperwork, students must follow the steps below.
- Review information available at the International Student Services (ISSS) Office OPT website.
- Submit the OPT request through the ISSS electronic portal (iStart e-form).
- The CS Academic Office serves as the "Official Advisor" when it comes to applying for OPT training. The Academic Office will
- Verify student has the degree requirements.
- Indicate the student's anticipated graduation date.
- Sign the form.
It is recommended that students plan at least 90 days in advance when applying for OPT training.
Graduate Academic Office Contact Information
DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
Grad Academic Office
University of Illinois
201 North Goodwin, 1210 Siebel Center
Urbana, IL 61801
Campus Mail Code: MC-258
Phone: (217) 333-4428
Fax: (217) 244-6073
Monday – Friday
- Morning: 8:00 AM to 11:45 AM
- Afternoon: 1:00 PM to 4:45 PM
- Walk-in advising hours start at 10:00 AM