Fulton Watson Copp Chair in Computer Science
The Fulton Watson Copp Chair was established with a gift from Mr. Copp's estate. The Copp Chair was established to recognize a faculty member who is internationally renown leader in computer science, has an ongoing research program central to the mission of the department, and is a prominent educator with a reputation for outstanding, innovative teaching.
Fulton Copp earned his BS in electrical engineering in 1925. He was a member of the ROTC and served in the Calvary. Early in his career he managed a gold mine in the Sierras. During World War II, he served in the Corps of Engineers and was involved in the construction of Army hospitals and airfields in this country and the Pacific. He retired as a Lt. Col. from the reserves in 1962.
After the war, Mr. Copp was involved in the construction and management of natural gas pipelines in the U.S., Australia, and Canada. He was also worked on oil extraction from shale. He retired in 1972 from the Bechtel Corporation. Mr. Copp died in 1990.