Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates
In the 10-week long Illinois Computer Science Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU), students work with Illinois faculty mentors and graduate students over the summer to get an introduction to computer science research. This is an outstanding opportunity for aspiring scientists and faculty to learn from leading experts in computer science.
The Illinois CS REU program includes an end-of-summer research symposium for participants to show off their work, as well as weekly seminars covering research skills, presentation skills, information about graduate school, and how to apply for graduate studies.
The University of Illinois is one of the nation’s leading public land-grant universities, home to a top-5 CS graduate program with a rich history in computing and the nation’s premier academic supercomputer, Blue Waters.
2021 Program Dates: May 24- July 30, 2021
Summer 2021 Format
Due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Illinois CS Summer REU program will be virtual for summer 2021.
Applications now OPEN!
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, however, students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
- Name and contact information of one professional reference. This professional reference should be someone who can speak to your academic and/or research skills. This person does not need to be a CS professor.
- Current CV or Resume
- Personal Statement: a 300-500 word statement of interest describing your personal goals and how you believe this REU experience could help you achieve those goals.
- Research Statement: describe any prior research experiences you may have had (not required) and what topics you would like to research this summer.
- A brief 150-word bio describing your academic and research background
Funding, including rate of pay and number of hours of work, is determined on an individual basis between the participant and faculty research mentor after the student has been accepted to the program and matched with a faculty mentor.
Upcoming REU Events
No events found
No events found
Other Computing-Related REUs at the University of Illinois:
- C3SR-Undergraduate Research in Artificial Intelligence (The Grainger College of Engineering)
- Illinois Scholars Undergraduate Research Program (The Grainger College of Engineering)
- INCLUSION (NCSA)