REU Research Showcase
A chance to show off a productive summer!
The Illinois Computer Science Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) provides participants a chance to do high impact and novel research with experts in computer science. During the REU Research showcase, participants will share the culmination of their summer's work with a small academic presentation to their peers and celebrate their foray into research at Illinois.
The showcase is divided into two parts: a short video and a quick presentation and Q/A session with REU peers and other guests at the REU Research Showcase.
REU Showcase Video
The first part of the REU showcase is preparing a short video to show off your research; with your consent these will be posted on the UIUC REU site. The details are as follows:
- DEADLINE: Videos and the video release form are due Monday, August 9, 2021 by 5:00 PM CT.
- Videos should be fairly short: no more than 8 minutes, but in the 4 -- 5 range is preferable!
- The videos should give one or two takeaways from the exciting work participants did this summer
- Videos can be made by recording a Zoom screen share or recording in PowerPoint.
- Videos can be narrated slides, narrated demonstrations, a mix of both - whatever participants feel is best and reasonable to show off their work
- For a sample, much longer than needed, video, here is a video presentation from SIGCSE 2021 - Superficial Code-Guise
- Please submit your video and the video release form https://forms.gle/VYvmJ4PqweuGdXrQ8. The video release form is linked in the google form.
REU Showcase Presentations
The REU Showcase Presentations will happen on Wednesday, August 11, 2021 from 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM CT. They are organized as a mini-conference through Zoom, using a similar set up as many of the online conferences through the last year.
- Participants will be divided into groups of 5 as research tracks/presentation sessions
- Half the groups will present from 12:00 to 1:00 PM, the other half from 1:00 to 2:00 PM
- Presentations are 3 minutes + 3 minute Q/A
- REU participants who are not presenting in an hour are encouraged to jump between zoom breakout rooms to catch presentations they want to see, which will start every 10 minutes.
- Groups and breakout room set ups will be posted to this website once the videos are collected and participants are confirmed.
Post Showcase Certificate
Every REU participant who presents in the REU showcase will also receive a REU Showcase Presenter certificate as an added acknowledgement of their hard work over the summer and their presentation of their work. This is effectively a way to acknowledge the conference-like experience during the summer REU and can be included on REU participants' resumes.