Online MCS Degree Requirements
The professional Online MCS is a non-thesis (no research) degree that requires 32 credit hours of graduate coursework. This program is completed online. Students can complete the eight courses required for the Online MCS at their own pace, within a five-year window.
Online MCS Requirements Table -- Coming Soon
Course Availability -- Coming Soon
Degree Planning Document -- Coming Soon
Breadth Requirement: 16 credit hours.
Must complete four different courses, each from a different area, with a grade of B- or higher. Online MCS areas include:
- Architecture, Compilers, Parallel Computing
- Artificial Intelligence
- Database, Information Systems
- Formal Methods, Programming Languages, Software Engineering
- Scientific Computing
- Systems and Networking
Advanced Coursework: 12 credit hours with a grade of C or higher.
Must be computer science courses numbered CS 500-590 or 598.
- At least 24 credit hours must be taken in computer science offered by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Any course taken for letter grade must have a grade of C or higher. (Breadth courses must have a B- or higher.)
- Up to 12 credit hours of previous graduate coursework that is approved by the Department of Computer Science may be transferred and applied to the Professional MCS degree requirements. This includes up to 12 credit hours of non-degree graduate courses completed within the Department of Computer Science at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.
- Online MCS students have up to 5 years in which to complete the degree.