Office Support Specialist
Office Support Specialist - Computer Science
The primary function of this position is to work under the direction of the Department Head, the Administrative Aide, and Associate Heads to perform administrative support duties on a daily basis.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Under the supervision of the Administrative Aide, work closely with the Department Head and Associate Heads on a variety of clerical and supporting tasks. Provide support for faculty meetings and other departmental meetings: including lunch orders, invitation and reminder emails, calendar entries, preparing meeting materials, room set up, and taking minutes. Assist Administrative Aide with faculty mentoring program, annual reviews, faculty recruiting, assembling promotion materials, coordinating annual surveys, etc. Coordinate the Affiliate appointment renewal process by tracking term dates, communicating with candidates, and drafting updated offer letters in conjunction with Human Resources. Review and edit confidential documents to ensure proper formatting, spelling, grammar, sentence structure and punctuation. Sign documents on behalf of Department Head, as directed.
- Serve as assistant to Department Head and Associate Heads, as needed. Support Associate Heads’ calendars, reminding them of upcoming meetings and deadlines. Support committees that are related to the Head or Associate Heads by arranging meetings, attending and taking minutes as requested, and supporting follow-up activities. Support tasks related to the needs of the Instructional teaching faculty. Assist the Administrative Aide with duties related to faculty hiring and provide primary support for the Teaching Faculty search committee.
- Perform back-up duties of the main receptionist in screening calls and visitors to the Administrative Office, determining need and personally handling routine inquiries, requests, or issues. Oversee shared email folder by monitoring the inbox and distributing emails to the appropriate recipients. Plan, organize and review work for student workers. Serve as primary back-up for the Department Head’s support team members.
- Manage travel arrangements and itineraries for visitors hosted by the Head or Associate Heads, including candidates for faculty positions. Make airline, hotel, conference reservations, and arrange transportation to and from destination(s). Provide support for the Department Head’s students, including conference registration, travel, tracking TA/RA appointments, and purchasing research supplies. Reconcile travel and purchasing transactions in a timely manner and in accordance with OBFS policies. Serve as back up hospitality contact for guest speakers.
- Assume additional appropriate duties to further the mission of the department.
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. Any one or combination totaling two (2) years (24 months) from the categories below:
A. College coursework in any curriculum, as measured by the following conversion table or its proportional equivalent:
30 semester hours equals one (1) year (12 months)
Associate’s Degree (60 semester hours) equals eighteen months (18 months)
90 semester hours equals two (2) years (24 months)
Bachelor’s Degree (120 semester hours) equals three (3) years (36 months)
B. Work experience performing office/clerical activities, including the use of computer systems.
3. One (1) year (12 months) of work experience comparable to the second level of this series.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Effective verbal and written communication skills. Ability to provide exemplary customer service to internal and external visitors to the department. Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, email, and internet. Excellent organizational skills. Ability to interpret policies and procedures to effectively solve problems.
- Perform a wide variety of office support tasks, which require the use of judgment and initiative and the ability to operate computer systems, using word processing, database and software packages. Knowledge of the organization, programs, practices, and procedures of the unit is central to the performance of the duties.
This is a 100% full-time Civil Service 3243 - Office Support Specialist position, appointed on a 12-month basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after 7/10/2023. Salary is commensurate with experience.
For more information on Civil Service classifications, please visit the SUCSS web site at https://www.sucss.illinois.gov/pages/classspec/default.aspx.
Application Procedures & Deadline Information
Applications must be received by 6:00 pm (CST) on 07/14/2023. Apply for this position using the Apply Now button at the top or bottom of this posting. In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position. Applications not submitted through https://jobs.illinois.edu will not be considered. If required by the position, transcripts or other documentation of credentials are to be provided no later than the first day of employment. For further information about this specific position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org . For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.