For more information
- University of California, San Diego. Ph.D in Computer Engineering. Department of Computer Science & Engineering.
Rakesh Kumar is a Professor in the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign with research and teaching interests in computer architecture. His research has been recognized through one ISCA Influential Paper Award, one 10 Year Retrospective Most Influential Paper (MIP) Award (ASPDAC), several best paper awards and best paper award nominations (IEEE MICRO Top Picks, ASPLOS, HPCA, CASES, SELSE, IEEE CAL), ARO Young Investigator Award, and UCSD CSE Best Dissertation Award. His teaching and advising have been recognized through Stanley H Pierce Faculty Award and Ronald W Pratt Faculty Outstanding Teaching Award. He previously served as a Co-Founder and Chief Architect at Hyperion Core, Inc, a microprocessor chip startup. Rakesh has a BS from IIT Kharagpur and a PhD from University of California at San Diego.
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. Professor.
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. Associate Professor.
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. Assistant Professor.
Our work spans all layers of the computing stack - circuits, architectures, compilers, systems, and applications. A typical member of my research group is creative, hardworking, motivated, and ambitious. He/she has strong programming skills, with a background in circuits, CAD, or computer architecture. He/she is open to learning new skills and considers hard problems as particularly interesting. Students who do not fit the above profile are, in general, not good fits.
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
I am always looking for motivated and exceptional undergraduate students to join my group. Email email@example.com if you want to do research in computer architecture. See our research/publications pages (http://passat.crhc.uiuc.edu) for a sampling of our research. Please attach your CV as well.
- Fault tolerance, reliability
- Low power and complexity-effective designs
- CAD/architecture interactions
- Computer Architecture
- Stanley H Pierce Faculty Award. 2018.
- Ronald W. Pratt Faculty Outstanding Teaching Award. 2016.
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent. Spring 2013. Spring 2015. Fall 2016, Fall 2018, .....
- IEEE Micro Top Picks - Honorable Mention. 2021.
- 2020 TCCA/SIGARCH ISCA Influential Paper Award.
- 10 Year Retrospective Most Influential Paper (MIP). ASPDAC. 2020.
- Qualcomm Innovation Fellowship. 2019.
- IEEE MICRO Top Picks Award. 2018. (Recognizes the 12 best papers published in 2017 in computer architecture conferences)
- Best Paper Award. 22nd ACM International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems. 2017.
- Best Paper. SELSE. The 12th Workshop on Silicon Errors in Logic – System Effects. 2016.
- Best of IEEE Computer Architecture Letters. 2013.
- ARO Young Investigator Award, 2012
- Best Paper Award Nomination. The 18th International Symposium on High Performance Computer Architecture (HPCA), 2012.
- Best Paper Award. International Conference on Compilers, Architectures, and Synthesis of Embedded Systems (CASES). 2011.
- UC San Diego CSE Dissertation Award, 2007. Nominated for ACM Distinguished Dissertation Award.
- IBM PhD Fellowship, 2005-2006
- Jagdish Bose National Science Talent Search (JBNSTS) scholarship, 1997-2001
Public Service Honors
- OpEd "India's science and technology funding: Time for a rethink?" selected for Nature India Annual volume 2019, which includes "the best research highlights, news, features, commentaries and opinion pieces published through the year." 2020.
- Engineering Council Outstanding Advising Award (2018)
- Engineering Council Outstanding Advising Award (2017)
- Engineering Council Outstanding Advising Award (2016.)
- Engineering Council Outstanding Advising Award (2013)
Recent Courses Taught
- ECE 411 - Computer Organization & Design
- ECE 445 - Senior Design Project Lab
- ECE 511 (CSE 521) - Computer Architecture