David M. Nicol
David M. Nicol
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
For more information
- Ph.D., Computer Science,University of Virginia, 1985
I aim to convey difficult material clearly, and challenge students to integrate concepts to solve new types of problems that follow immediately from the material covered.
The study of large-scale systems encounters problems in representation,
scalability, and behavior. Project MOSES investigates such issues, particularly in the context of networking security.
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
I have almost always had undergraduates working on my research team. I support undergraduate summer interns.
- security policy and its analysis
- parallel discrete-event simulation
- fluid based modeling
- mathematical modeling and analysis
- public-key infrastructure
- Alumni Fellowship Award, given by the William and Mary Society of the Alumni for excellence in teaching, 1992.
- Franklin W. Woeltge Professorship in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Best paper award, Conference on Principles of Advanced and Distributed Simulation, June 2012
- Reconocimiento Especial, Tecnologico De Monterrey (honoring my textbook "Discrete-Event Systems Simulation", 2010
- Best paper award, MALWARE 2010
- Best paper award, Conference on Principals of Advanced and Distributed Simulation, June 2008
- ACM SIGSIM Distinguished Contributions Award, 2007
- ACM Distinguished Lecturer, 2008
- ACM Distinguished Lecturer, 2007
- Fellow of the ACM, for contributions to discrete event simulation
- Best Paper Award, Conference on Principles of Advanced and Distributed Simulation, June 2005.
- Best Paper Award, IPSI 2004-Studenica Conference on Internet Technologies
- IEEE Fellow, 2003.
- Marion and Jason Whiting Fellowship for study at Oxford University, 2000.
- Best Paper Award, 9th Annual Conference on Parallel and Distributed Simulation, 1995.
- Employee Excellence Award, Control Data Corporation, 1982.
- Great Performer's Award, Control Data Corporation, 1980.
- CS 541 - Computer Systems Analysis
- ECE 498 - Special Topics in ECE
- ECE 541 - Computer Systems Analysis