For more information
- Ph.D. Computer Science
- MSc. Engineering and Technology Management
- MSc. Computer Science
Abdussalam Alawini received the B.S. degree in Computer Science from the University of Tripoli in 2002, and the M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in Computer Science from Portland State University in 2011 and 2016. Dr. Alawini is a teaching assistant professor with the Department of Computer Science at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Dr. Alawini’s research interests are broadly in the field of databases, with a focus on scientific data management. He is particularly interested in applying machine learning methods to various problems of modern data management systems, including data provenance, data citation and managing file-based datasets.
- Adjunct Faculty, Portland State University, Computer Science Department, 01/2016-06/2016
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of Pennsylvania, Computer and Information Science, 07/2016-07/2018
- CS411 Database Systems
- Computer Science Education
- Scientific Data Management
- Data Provenance
- Database Systems
Chapters in Books
- Alawini, A., Borgan, M., Alharbi, M., & Zehr, W. (2011). Call Tracking-Technology Selection Model. (S)
- Alawini, A., Tanatanmatorn, N., Tucker, D., Tucker, K., & Daim, T. (2013). Technology adoption: building IT. In Research and Technology Management in the Electricity Industry (pp. 213-228). Springer, London. (S)
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Seth Poulsen, Liia Butler, Abdussalam Alawini, Geoffrey L Herman. (2020). Insights from Student Solutions to SQL Homework Problems. Proceedings of the 2020 ACM Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education.
- F ALSaad, A Alawini. (2020). Unsupervised Approach for Modeling Content Structures of MOOCs. Proceedings of The 13th International Conference on Educational Data Mining (EDM 2020)
- Yinjun Wu, Abdussalam Alawini, Daniel Deutch, Tova Milo, Susan B. Davidson. (2019). The 45th International Conference on Very Large Data Base. VLDB 2019 (LA, USA 2019).
- Zheng, N., Alawini, A., Ives, Z. (2019). Extending Fine-Grained Provenance to ETL Tasks. The 35th International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE 2019, China).
- Alawini, A., Chen, L., Davidson, S., Fisher, S., & Kim, J. (2018, July). Discovering Similar Workflows via Provenance Clustering: A Case Study. In International Provenance and Annotation Workshop (pp. 115-127). Springer, Cham.
- Wu, Y., Alawini, A., Davidson, S. B., & Silvello, G. (2018, May). Data Citation: Giving Credit Where Credit is Due. In Proceedings of the 2018 International Conference on Management of Data (pp. 99-114). ACM.
- Alawini, A., Davidson, S. B., Silvello, G., Tannen, V., & Wu, Y. (2018). Data Citation: A New Provenance Challenge. IEEE Data Eng. Bull., 41(1), 27-38.
- Xu, J., Zhang, W., Alawini, A., & Tannen, V. (2018). Provenance Analysis for Missing Answers and Integrity Repairs. Data Engineering, 39.
- Alawini, A., Davidson, S. B., Hu, W., & Wu, Y. (2017). Automating data citation in CiteDB. Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment, 10(12), 1881-1884.
- Alawini, A., Chen, L., Davidson, S. B., Da Silva, N. P., & Silvello, G. (2017, June). Automating data citation: the eagle-i experience. In Digital Libraries (JCDL), 2017 ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on (pp. 1-10). IEEE.
- Alawini, A., Maier, D., Tufte, K., Howe, B., & Nandikur, R. (2015, June). Towards automated prediction of relationships among scientific datasets. In Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Scientific and Statistical Database Management (p. 35). ACM.
- Alawini, A., Maier, D., Tufte, K., & Howe, B. (2014, June). Helping scientists reconnect their datasets. In Proceedings of the 26th International Conference on Scientific and Statistical Database Management (p. 29). ACM.
- The Journal of Information Systems (2016)
Conferences Organized or Chaired
- Proceedings Co-Chair, SIGMOD 2020
- TEACHERS RANKED AS EXCELLENT ( Fall, Spring, and Summer of 2019)
- COVID-19 WALL OF RECOGNITION IN ENGINEERING (04/2021)
Public Service Honors
- Portland State President’s Award for University Service. (2015)
Recent Courses Taught
- CS 411 - Database Systems
- CS 498 AB3 (CS 498 AB4, CS 498 ABU) - Data Management in the Cloud